Standing up for what’s right isn’t always easy. But after spending a lifetime fighting for conservative principles, Ted Cruz has proven that he will defend the values that have made America the greatest nation on Earth.
Politicians all too often promise one thing on the campaign trail, only to break those promises once elected. We should ask every candidate to prove it:
“You say you believe in these principles. Show me. When have you fought for conservative principles and what have you accomplished?”
Ted Cruz has proven he will keep his word. Whether it’s leading the charge to repeal Obamacare; fighting to finally secure the border and stop the President’s illegal and unconstitutional amnesty; introducing legislation to allow businesses and entrepreneurs to create unprecedented jobs, growth and prosperity; or fighting to defend our Second Amendment rights as enshrined in the Constitution – Ted Cruz has consistently shown that he can be trusted to do what he said.
Our Standard: The Constitution
Ted Cruz has spent a lifetime fighting to defend the Constitution — our nation’s founding document and the supreme law of the land — which was crafted by our founding fathers to act as chains to bind the mischief of government and to protect the liberties endowed to us by our Creator.
- Defended Hobby Lobby and Conestoga Wood Specialties against Obamacare’s contraception mandate.
- Led the way on several cases including a U.S. Supreme Court case that preserved the words “under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Successfully defended the words “under God” in the Texas Pledge of Allegiance and Texas schools’ moment of silence law in federal district court.
- Galvanized national support for Houston pastors who had been subpoenaed by the City of Houston to provide the content of their sermons forcing the City to back down.
- Supported the right of students to display banners containing religious content at school sporting events.
- Successfully defended the constitutionality of the Texas Ten Commandments monument, winning a 5-4 landmark decision before the U.S. Supreme Court, setting an important national precedent for the right to display similar monuments.
- Fought to help the Boy Scouts of America to reverse a district court ruling barring them from leasing a public park.
- Played a crucial role in preventing federal legislation to restrict the Second Amendment rights of Americans.
- Authored legislation to strengthen the Second Amendment rights of Americans by allowing interstate firearms sales.
- Led 31 states in District of Columbia v. Heller where the U.S. Supreme Court overturned a ban on firearms in a 5-4 landmark decision.
- Honored by the National Rifle Association with a 2008 resolution for his leadership in the Heller case, which noted that his “efforts made this victory for the American people possible.”
- Awarded the NRA’s 2010 Carter-Knight Freedom Fund, which “rewards exemplary activities in the support and protection of the right to Keep and Bear Arms” for his work in the Heller and McDonald
- Argued against unreasonable and burdensome gun restrictions before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.
- Recognized by NRA executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre who observed, “Ted Cruz is one of our nation’s leading defenders of the Second Amendment. For over a decade, Ted has fought tirelessly to defend our constitutional right to keep and bear arms, and his leadership was absolutely critical to our major victories before the U.S. Supreme Court.”
- Fought and won a landmark ruling for U.S. sovereignty in Medellin v. Texas at the U.S. Supreme Court against 90 foreign nations and the President to ensure the supremacy of U.S. legal system against encroachment by international treaties and rulings of the “World Court.”
- Cosponsored a resolution urging the president not to sign the UN Arms Treaty, which would have subordinated the Second Amendments rights of American citizens to global interests.
- Called for a special prosecutor to investigate the targeting of conservatives by the IRS.
Stronger, Safer America
A safer, stronger America safeguards freedom at home and across the globe. That’s why Ted Cruz has fought tirelessly to defend our nation’s servicemen and women, to restore America’s leadership in the world, and to secure our border and streamline our legal immigration system.
- Opposed the Obama Administration’s dangerous deal with Iran that would allow Iran to pursue nuclear weapons.
- Spearheaded legislation passed unanimously by Congress and signed by the President to prevent known terrorists from entering the United States as ambassadors to the United Nations.
- Successfully pressured the Obama Administration to lift its unprecedented FAA ban on flights to Israel after exposing the move as, in essence, an economic boycott of our strongest ally in the Middle East. The ban was lifted within 36 hours of the Senator’s actions
- Championed the Expatriate Terrorist Act to prevent Americans who join ISIS from returning to the United States to commit acts of terror at home.
- Introduced legislation passed by the Senate to provide rewards for information leading to the arrest of Hamas terrorists responsible for the murder of American and Israeli teenagers.
- Led the charge on a bipartisan resolution passed by the Senate to condemn Hamas’ use of civilians as human shields.
- Authored legislation to allow victims of the Fort Hood terrorist attack to be awarded the Purple Heart and appropriate benefits.
- Joined Texas and 25 other states in a lawsuit to stop President Obama’s illegal executive amnesty.
- Authored legislation to triple the size of the U.S. Border Patrol.
- Authored legislation to streamline and simplify our legal immigration system by consolidating segmented visas, creating real and transparent caps, eliminating the diversity visa lottery, and treating all immigrants equally by eliminating the per-country caps.
- Urged the strictest enforcement of laws punishing those with prior felony convictions who entered the country illegally in a U.S. Supreme Court Brief in Lopez v. Gonzales.
- Authored legislation to ensure that members of our military deployed to combat the spread of Ebola is entitled to the same tax benefits as those serving in a combat zone.
- Promoted the strengthening of existing law to prevent discrimination or retaliation against military service members who appropriately express their religious faith.
- Represented more than 3 million veterans before the U.S. Supreme Court in Salazar v. Buono, defending the constitutionality of the Mojave Desert Veterans Memorial. Along with co-counsel Kelly Shackelford of the Liberty Institute, then-Solicitor General Cruz fought for The American Legion, The Veterans of Foreign Wars, The Military Order of the Purple Heart, and the American Ex-Prisoners of War. In April 2010, the Supreme Court handed down a 5-4 decision in favor of the veterans.
- Defended the constitutionality of the federal Solomon Amendment, which requires universities receiving federal funds to grant S. military recruiters equal access to campuses, notwithstanding the universities’ opposition to the military’s policies concerning sexual orientation.
- Authored legislation to close a loophole in the federal “Motor Voter” law that preempts states from enforcing requirements that would ensure those registered to vote are U.S. citizens.
Life, Marriage, and Family
Without life, there is no liberty. And ensuring every child is born into a home with a loving family provides the best chance for that child to achieve anything. That is why Ted Cruz has been on the front lines defending life and standing up for marriage when it has come under assault from activist judges.
- Led the charge on behalf of 13 states to successfully defend, before the U.S. Supreme Court, a federal law that bans one form of late-term abortion, the Partial Birth Abortion Act.
- Advocated for an investigation into abortion practices in the U.S. to prevent the atrocities witnessed in Kermit Gosnell’s facility from ever happening again.
- Joined 18 states in successfully defending the New Hampshire parental-notification law before the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Successfully defended in federal court Texas’s Rider 8, which prohibits state funds for groups that provide abortions.
- Fought for the right of states to define marriage, without intrusion by unelected federal judges, by drafting the State Marriage Defense Act.
- Defended Texas’s marriage laws when a renegade state court attempted to grant a divorce to a same-sex couple that had obtained a civil union in Vermont.
Jobs and Opportunity
The American Dream — the idea that anyone, through hard work and determination, can achieve anything — is under assault like never before. Obamacare, an overreaching federal government, and out of control spending threaten the ability of small businesses and entrepreneurs to create jobs and innovate. This has to stop and Ted Cruz has led the way to bring back jobs, growth, and opportunity to America.
- Authored the Obamacare Repeal Act as his first piece legislation.
- Led the fight to defund Obamacare — the largest regulatory challenge facing our nation that has resulted in killing jobs, cutting workers’ hours, and causing millions of Americans to lose their doctors or health care.
- Authored legislation to end taxpayer dollars subsidizing corporate fat cats, including the Ex-Im Bank.
- Opposed the Renewable Fuel Standard ethanol subsidy.
- Co-sponsored the Enhancing Educational Opportunities for All Act to expand school choice and make a quality K-12 education more accessible and affordable to low-income parents and students.
- Authored legislation to expedite liquefied natural gas to support jobs, economic growth, and to stand united alongside our friends and allies in the face of Russian aggression.
- Led the fight against regulating the Internet as a public utility because it threatens the Internet as a haven for entrepreneurial freedom and unlimited opportunity.
- Set an early, high standard for meaningful Republican opposition to increasing the debt ceiling.
- Demanded a 60-vote threshold vote on a clean debt-ceiling increase in February 2013, when Republican leadership wanted to allow the Democrats to raise the limit with a simple majority vote.
- Insisted on a commitment from Democrats and Republicans in the Senate that the debt ceiling would not be increased as part of a deal to pass the budget .
- Introduced the American Energy Renaissance Act to spur economic growth by harnessing our nation’s energy resources and removing federal impediments to energy exploration, development and trade and empowering the private sector to create good-paying, American jobs.
- Sued the federal government to strike down portions of the Medicare Prescription Drug program as an unconstitutional intrusion in the sovereign authority of the States.
- Opposed the Obama Administration’s Interior Department’s moratorium on offshore exploration in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Urged the U.S. Supreme Court to hear a case and reverse a decision of the D.C. Circuit upholding congressional authority to halt commercial development of private property because of the presence of a purely intrastate species of Arroyo toads.